A witness from God can be relied upon. As you read our thoughts, beliefs, and experiences, we invite you to obtain a witness for yourself. If something we say or imply does not ring true, then you should feel no obligation to accept it. Life is an individual and unique journey with God. Although we can help and encourage each other, we need to be careful not to come between God and another person.

Pages

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Child’s Sincere Temple Question, Part 6

Can an individual connect with heaven “unless he yields to the enticings of the Holy Spirit, and putteth off the natural man and becometh a saint through the atonement of Christ the Lord, and becometh as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father?” Mosiah 3:19

One of the greatest gifts we can receive in this life is the gift of knowing Christ. It would be very valuable to seek after the Heavenly Gift while in this telestial kingdom, or the world in which we now live. Ether 12:8, 4 Nephi 1:3. Rending the veil of unbelief, being redeemed from the fall through the power of Jesus Christ, and being brought back into the Lord’s presence is available to anyone who seeks it. Do you think it’s worth receiving what’s been offered while it’s still available? D&C 88:62-63, Isaiah 55:6

This is an essential and crucial step that most people forget, disregard, ignore, overlook, fail to notice, discount, miss, or in one way or another forfeit altogether. Some people just simply do not believe that being in the Lord’s presence in this life is possible or even necessary for salvation. We must each individually rend the veil of unbelief and converse with the Lord through the veil. Ether 4:13-16

I’ve read and recommend The Second Comforter: Conversing with the Lord Through the Veil, which is a book about receiving an audience with Christ and the process of having a personal visit from Him. I believe the described process works and is worth considering. Jesus Christ, who is the Second Comforter, will come to all of us on the same conditions. There are many witnesses that have testified of this process. Reading their testimonies has given me the hope that I too can see his face and know Him.

Joseph Smith was a prophet, seer, and revelator commissioned to restore the gospel of Jesus Christ. He truly loved his fellowmen, connected with heaven, and sought the welfare of Zion. He knew from firsthand experience how to come into the presence of the Lord. He then taught others how to connect with heaven. True messengers have been redeemed from the fall, been in the presence of God, and are teaching others to do likewise? Are there any true messengers among us today? If so, who?

Joseph Smith taught, “The other Comforter spoken of is a subject of great interest, and perhaps understood by few of this generation. After a person has faith in Christ, repents of his sins, and is baptized for the remission of his sins and receives the Holy Ghost, (by the laying on of hands), which is the first Comforter, then let him continue to humble himself before God, hungering and thirsting after righteousness, and living by every word of God, and the Lord will soon say unto him, Son, thou shalt be exalted.

When the Lord has thoroughly proved him, and finds that the man is determined to serve Him at all hazards, then the man will find his calling and his election made sure, then it will be his privilege to receive the other Comforter, which the Lord hath promised the Saints, as is recorded in the testimony of St. John, in the 14th chapter, from the 12th to the 27th verses.

Now what is this other Comforter? It is no more nor less than the Lord Jesus Christ Himself; and this is the sum and substance of the whole matter; that when any man obtains this last Comforter, he will have the personage of Jesus Christ to attend him, or appear unto him from time to time, and even He will manifest the Father unto him, and they will take up their abode with him, and the visions of the heavens will be opened unto him, and the Lord will teach him face to face, and he may have a perfect knowledge of the mysteries of the Kingdom of God; and this is the state and place the ancient Saints arrived at when they had such glorious visions--Isaiah, Ezekiel, John upon the Isle of Patmos, St. Paul in the three heavens, and all the Saints who held communion with the general assembly and Church of the Firstborn.” TPJS pages 150-151

“For God hath not revealed anything to Joseph, but what He will make known unto the Twelve, and even the least Saint may know all things as fast as he is able to bear them, for the day must come when no man need say to his neighbor, Know ye that Lord; for all shall know Him (who remain) from the least to the greatest. How is this to be done? It is to be done by this sealing power, and the other Comforter spoken of, which will be manifest by revelation.” TPJS pages 149

God is no respecter of persons. Acts 10:34, D&C 38:16 He doesn’t play favorites. He is perfectly merciful and just. Alma 42:15 We are all playing by the same rules. My journey back into the presence of God is based on the same conditions and requirements met by Joseph Smith, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Enoch, Isaiah, Nephi, and every other individual who has obtained His presence.

I believe it would bring the Lord great joy to have each one of us come into his presence. He gives an excellent description of what it takes to see his face and know him. "Verily, thus saith the Lord: It shall come to pass that every soul who forsaketh his sins and cometh unto me, and calleth on my name, and obeyeth my voice, and keepeth my commandments, shall see my face and know that I am” D&C 93:1. We have a promise from the Lord, and we can count on it. D&C 82:10 He is a God of truth and cannot lie. Titus 1:2 We really can see His face and know our Lord.

So, what does it take to come to the Lord, see His face, and know that He is? Am I willing to seriously and humbly identify and forsake my sins? Am I willing to raise my voice to heaven and ask for Christ to cover my sins and make me clean? D&C 88:74-75, Ether 12:37 Do I possess sufficient faith in Christ to be purged from all sin and have my garments made white? Isaiah 6:7, 1 Nephi 12:11

It has worked for others. Will it work for me? Is there strength within my soul that empowers and motivates me to come unto Christ with great faith and call upon his name for salvation? Do I really want to hear his reply and clearly understand his voice? When I hear his voice, am I willing to quickly obey and keep his commandments? Do I desire to see his face and to know that he is? Is it important for me to know Him and receive the promise of life eternal? Why? John 17:3

Do I need to be redeemed and return to His presence during this life? D&C 132:22-25 “For it shall come to pass, saith the Father, that at that day whosoever will not repent and come unto my Beloved Son, them will I cut off from among my people, O house of Israel;" 3 Nephi 21:20 Do I want to risk being cut off from among the people of God?

Have I come unto Christ if I have not “seen His face and know that He is”? Have I been redeemed from the fall and brought back into His presence? Ether 3:13 Have I heard His voice declare that my sins are forgiven? Enos 1:5 Do I have the confidence that he will say to me: Come unto me, ye blessed, there is a place prepared for you in the mansions of my Father? Enos 1:27 Will I be able to stand before Him clean, sanctified, redeemed, and covered? Will I see his face with pleasure or be under a consciousness of my nakedness, guilt, and shame? Mormon 9:1-5

If I will receive Him, He will not leave me comfortless and will come to me John 14:18. “Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him” John 14:23. If I love and obey Jesus, both the Father and the Son will make their abode with me. This is literal. The appearing of the Father and the Son is a personal appearance. It is not just a feeling of their presence in my heart. It is real and personal. They will come and make themselves known to me D&C 130:3.

Do I really want the fulness of the gospel of Jesus Christ that is contained in the Book of Mormon? How about having a perfect brightness of hope and assurance because I personally heard the Lord’s voice declare my redemption? Would I like to feel and experience the love of God first hand and obtain charity from the Father? Do I want to receive the fulness of the priesthood and the associated power that comes from heaven? Do I desire to have the high priesthood be conferred upon me by the Father? Do I want to receive the sealing power and obtain from heaven a promise of eternal life? Is it important for me to hear God’s voice seal me His?

To be continued . . .

Child’s Sincere Temple Question, Part 1

Child’s Sincere Temple Question, Part 2

Child's Sincere Temple Question, Part 3

Child's Sincere Temple Question, Part 4

Child's Sincere Temple Question, Part 5

Child's Sincere Temple Question, Part 6

Child's Sincere Temple Question, Part 7 Conclusion


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for posting