A witness from God can be relied upon. As you read our thoughts, beliefs, and experiences, we invite you to obtain a witness for yourself. If something we say or imply does not ring true, then you should feel no obligation to accept it. Life is an individual and unique journey with God. Although we can help and encourage each other, we need to be careful not to come between God and another person.

Pages

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Forgiveness and Friendship

I’ve saved very few things from my childhood. I have one letter that’s about 35 years old.  My children were cleaning out a closet the other day and found it.  

When I was little, I had a very best friend who lived next door. We were born on the same day just one year apart. She was older than me.  We did everything together.  She would come over and help me with my morning work in the summer so we could play the rest of the day. We swam in her pool, played baseball, went to the park, tromped through the small forest behind our homes, flew kites, roller skated, rode bikes, and a hundred other things. 

We lived in Downers Grove, Illinois. She went to the Methodist Church with her family, and I went to the Mormon Church with my family.  Sometimes we would go to church together. 

We are both the sixth out of seven children in our families. We both also have a younger brother, and they are the same age.  One day our little brothers got in an argument about something.  I don’t remember what the argument was about, but I do remember we got involved to defend our brothers. 

Normally, when we had a clash, we’d be playing together again the same day. This fight was different.  I don’t know who was at fault.  Most likely we both had something to do with it. We both held a grudge for quite a while.  I don’t remember how long.  It might have been a couple of weeks, a month, three months, or even six months.  It felt like forever.  I was no longer on speaking terms with my best friend and was lonely.  She felt the same way, and decided to do something about it.  She sent me a large manila envelop in the mail. Here is a scanned copy of the letter:

To a good friend who is a great player who has good sportsmanship And a terrific partner for a team. Jenny.

To a good friend whose a good person to talk to anytime. Jenny.


Who is good at most anything


Who is a laugh when she sleeps over


And cheers me up ­ when I’m feeling down 


To a person who is smart and one of the most politest person around. Jenny.


To a person who tries to help as much as she can. Jenny.


To a kid who has a smile that would warm your heart! Jenny.


When we look at each other on this upside down – we will begin to laugh and can’t stop. Jenny


To a good friend who I’m trying to say I’m sorry. Mona  . . . Friends


I still remember the feelings I had when I received this letter.  I ran to my friend, and hearts were healed.  We never fought like that again.  Children have a great capacity to make amends and forgive. If only we could be a child again.

Jesus Christ tells us to repent and become as little child Matthew 18:3. We would be happier to be more like Mona, let go of our pride, and reach out to those we really do love.  Yes, we might have clashes and disagreements, but the little child within really only wants to love and be loved.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for posting