A witness from God can be relied upon. As you read our thoughts, beliefs, and experiences, we invite you to obtain a witness for yourself. If something we say or imply does not ring true, then you should feel no obligation to accept it. Life is an individual and unique journey with God. Although we can help and encourage each other, we need to be careful not to come between God and another person.

Pages

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Jeremiah Rebukes Latter Day Prophets, Part 2


Who is going to punish the prophets? 

 15 Therefore thus saith the Lord of hosts concerning the prophets; Behold, I will feed them with wormwood, and make them drink the water of gall: for from the prophets of Jerusalem is profaneness gone forth into all the land.

Who does the Lord hold accountable for teaching the people profaneness? Is it because of the prophets that wickedness has filled the land?

 16 Thus saith the Lord of hosts, Hearken not unto the words of the prophets that prophesy unto you: they make you vain: they speak a vision of their own heart, and not out of the mouth of the Lord.
 17 They say still unto them that despise me, The Lord hath said, Ye shall have peace; and they say unto every one that walketh after the imagination of his own heart, No evil shall come upon you.

Are the prophets speaking the words of the Lord? Why does the Lord tell us not to listen to these prophets? How are they making us vain? Would building a $5,000,000,000 shopping mall with upscale housing fit into this category? What if they speak smooth words and say all is well, ye shall have peace? Who is still despising the Lord, but is told that no evil shall come?

 18 For who hath stood in the counsel of the Lord, and hath perceived and heard his word? who hath marked his word, and heard it?

Have any of these prophets been in the Lord's presence to hear what He is really saying? Has even one of them cared enough to listen? Where is the counsel of the Lord?  How does one get invited to stand in His counsel?

 19 Behold, a whirlwind of the Lord is gone forth in fury, even a grievous whirlwind: it shall fall grievously upon the head of the wicked.

Why is it so important the people be warned instead of being reassured that all is well? If you could see a grievous whirlwind coming, would you just sit back and let your friends, loved ones, and others be swept away?

 20 The anger of the Lord shall not return, until he have executed, and till he have performed the thoughts of his heart: in the latter days ye shall consider it perfectly.

When is the fulfillment of this prophecy? Why does he say, “in the latter days ye shall consider it perfectly”?

 21 I have not sent these prophets, yet they ran: I have not spoken to them, yet they prophesied.

Have these prophets been commissioned of God? Have these prophets been speaking the word of the Lord? Why do they go on prophesying when the Lord hasn’t given them a message?

 22 But if they had stood in my counsel, and had caused my people to hear my words, then they should have turned them from their evil way, and from the evil of their doings.

If they had stood in the Lord’s counsel, what would they have done that would have turned the people from their evil way?

 23 Am I a God at hand, saith the Lord, and not a God afar off?
 24 Can any hide himself in secret places that I shall not see him? saith the Lord. Do not I fill heaven and earth? saith the Lord.

How close is God? Can anyone hide from the Lord or escape His all searching eye?

 25 I have heard what the prophets said, that prophesy lies in my name, saying, I have dreamed, I have dreamed.
 26 How long shall this be in the heart of the prophets that prophesy lies? yea, they are prophets of the deceit of their own heart;

Have the prophets been speaking the word of the Lord? Do the prophets’ words fit into the category “whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same”? D&C 1:38  Or are they prophets of deceit, inventing everything they say?

 27 Which think to cause my people to forget my name by their dreams which they tell every man to his neighbour, as their fathers have forgotten my name for Baal.

How have the prophets caused God’s people to forget his name? By telling these false dreams, how are they trying to get the Lord’s people to forget Him? How do they compare with their ancestors who worshipped the idols of Baal?

 28 The prophet that hath a dream, let him tell a dream; and he that hath my word, let him speak my word faithfully. What is the chaff to the wheat? saith the Lord.
 29 Is not my word like as a fire? saith the Lord; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces?

What’s the difference between chaff and wheat?  What does the Lord’s word do to the prophets?

 30 Therefore, behold, I am against the prophets, saith the Lord, that steal my words every one from his neighbour.
 31 Behold, I am against the prophets, saith the Lord, that use their tongues, and say, He saith.
 32 Behold, I am against them that prophesy false dreams, saith the Lord, and do tell them, and cause my people to err by their lies, and by their lightness; yet I sent them not, nor commanded them: therefore they shall not profit this people at all, saith the Lord.

Why is the Lord against these prophets who steal messages from each other, quote each other, and claim the words are from Him? Why is the Lord against these smooth-tongued prophets who say, 'This prophecy is from the Lord'?

What is the significance of the Lord repeating three times, “I am against the prophets”? Are the people benefited or injured from lies and false dreams? Are these prophets attempting to stand between the people and God? What does the Lord mean, “I am against the prophets”?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for posting