A witness from God can be relied upon. As you read our thoughts, beliefs, and experiences, we invite you to obtain a witness for yourself. If something we say or imply does not ring true, then you should feel no obligation to accept it. Life is an individual and unique journey with God. Although we can help and encourage each other, we need to be careful not to come between God and another person.

Pages

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Did you walk away from the Mormon faith?

Last week someone sent an email to our Provident Living Today website. “I would like to ask you a personal question. You were talking about seeking God in A Little Peace in Paradise. It seemed like you found what you were looking for. Did you walk away from the Mormon faith? I am a Christian, and it sounds like you did. Can you let me know either way?”

I don't mind answering. I prefer it when people ask straightforward questions. No, I haven't walked away from the Mormon faith. I still strongly believe in Joseph Smith as a prophet of God and the Book of Mormon as another testament of Jesus Christ. I also believe in the Bible. The center of my faith is Jesus Christ. I don't agree with some of the beliefs that are being perpetuated in the Mormon Church today, but I haven't given up on the Mormons.

No, I haven't found what I'm looking for; I'm still on a quest to see God. I currently attend church with Christian people who aren't Mormons. My new friends have welcomed me into their congregations.

The leaders of the Mormon Church don't like some of my questions and comments. I’m not angry with them because I can see that they're human just like the rest of us. I realize that I challenge some of the Mormon traditions, and that might be a little scary for many of them. I understand their fear because I felt the same way when I recognized that some of my Mormon traditions were false. To be reconciled with new understanding, many of my paradigms and beliefs had to be rearranged or abandoned.

I am reporting what I see, feel, and experience. I notice inconsistencies between the teachings in the scriptures (Bible, Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, Pearl of Great Price) and what is being taught and practiced in the Mormon Church today. Some people don't like it when I talk about these discrepancies. It seems to make them feel uncomfortable. It’s okay if they don’t agree with me. I don’t have all the answers. I am discovering new information and have a lot of questions. I think we should talk about our beliefs and ideas without fear of being threatened and rejected. But it is what it is:)

Joseph Smith saw Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father face to face and encouraged us to seek the Lord’s face. This is what I'm looking for. I want to see and talk with the Lord face to face before I die.

Many Christians believe that accepting Christ is enough. They love Jesus, and I enjoy worshiping the Lord with them. It is my belief that there is still much more available. I know people who have seen the Lord. I am told that the Heavenly Gift is offered to all who desire it.

"Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him." John 14:23

“Verily, thus saith the Lord: It shall come to pass that every soul who forsaketh his sins and cometh unto me, and calleth on my name, and obeyeth my voice, and keepeth my commandments, shall see my face and know that I am;” D&C 93:1

And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved. Genesis 32:30

Therefore, sanctify yourselves that your minds become single to God, and the days will come that you shall see him; for he will unveil his face unto you, and it shall be in his own time, and in his own way, and according to his own will. D&C 88:68

And the Lord said unto Moses, Go unto the people, and sanctify them to day and to morrow, and let them wash their clothes, And be ready against the third day: for the third day the Lord will come down in the sight of all the people upon mount Sinai” Exodus 19:10-11. . . “And all the people saw the thunderings, and the lightnings, and the noise of the trumpet, and the mountain smoking: and when the people saw it, they removed, and stood afar off. And they said unto Moses, Speak thou with us, and we will hear: but let not God speak with us, lest we die. And Moses said unto the people, Fear not: for God is come to prove you, and that his fear may be before your faces, that ye sin not.” Exodus 19:18-20

“And now I, Moroni, bid farewell unto the Gentiles, yea, and also unto my brethren whom I love, until we shall meet before the judgment-seat of Christ, where all men shall know that my garments are not spotted with your blood. And then shall ye know that I have seen Jesus, and that he hath talked with me face to face, and that he told me in plain humility, even as a man telleth another in mine own language, concerning these things. . . And now, I would commend you to seek this Jesus of whom the prophets and apostles have written, that the grace of God the Father, and also the Lord Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost, which beareth record of them, may be and abide in you forever. Amen.” Ether 12:38,39,41

A Little Peace in Paradise is a record of our journey as we seek the face of God. Feel free to ask questions anytime.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for posting