A witness from God can be relied upon. As you read our thoughts, beliefs, and experiences, we invite you to obtain a witness for yourself. If something we say or imply does not ring true, then you should feel no obligation to accept it. Life is an individual and unique journey with God. Although we can help and encourage each other, we need to be careful not to come between God and another person.

Pages

Friday, March 2, 2012

Looking for Witnesses of Christ, Part 2

If someone were to go to the Internet to find "witnesses of Christ", what would they find? Here are a few of the Google headlines that come up on the first two pages:

  • Jesus Christ, The Son of God - Special Witnesses
  • Are Christians required to be active witnesses for Christ?
  • How can I be an effective witness for Christ in a lost world?
  • The Ten Basic Steps: Lesson 1-Why We Witness
  • How can I witness for Christ?
  • Eye-witnesses of the Resurrected Christ; resurrection; ascension

What is a witness? What makes an individual a reliable witness?

WITNESS - That which furnishes evidence or proof. . . A person who knows or sees any thing; one personally present; as, he was witness; he was an eye-witness. 1 Pet 5 . . . To see or know by personal presence. . . To attest; to give testimony to; to testify to something.

When the term “witnesses of Christ” is used, what’s being said? In a courtroom, can anyone just decide to be a witness because they want to be one? Or do they qualify as a witness because they “see or know by personal presence”?

There are many examples in the New Testament of eyewitnesses of Christ. Are there any present-day eyewitnesses of Christ? Or is that just a thing of the past?

I looked through some of the different blogs and websites of those claiming to be witnesses of Christ. I found many that have the desire to teach people about Christ and share the good news. That’s admirable. Being willing “to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places” is preparatory to being redeemed of God and receiving the gift of eternal life. Mosiah 18:9

I have not yet seen the Lord and want to hear authentic witnesses who have. It’s a little confusing to hear someone say they know or they witness and find out they don’t know any more than I do. After listening to a true witness of Christ, Nephi was given his own witness.

“And it came to pass after I, Nephi, having heard all the words of my father, concerning the things which he saw in a vision, and also the things which he spake by the power of the Holy Ghost, which power he received by faith on the Son of God—and the Son of God was the Messiah who should come—I, Nephi, was desirous also that I might see, and hear, and know of these things, by the power of the Holy Ghost, which is the gift of God unto all those who diligently seek him, as well in times of old as in the time that he should manifest himself unto the children of men.

“For he is the same yesterday, today, and forever; and the way is prepared for all men from the foundation of the world, if it so be that they repent and come unto him.

“For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost, as well in these times as in times of old, and as well in times of old as in times to come; wherefore, the course of the Lord is one eternal round.” 1 Nephi 10:17-19

So if God is the same yesterday, today, and forever, where are the latter-day witnesses? Who has seen and knows Him because they were personally present? Where are their testimonies recorded?

I didn’t find these testimonies on the first page of Google, but they can be found. I believe there are many who have seen the risen Lord and are diligently teaching others to come unto Christ. Here are the testimonies of a few:

Joseph Smith records his witness of God the Father and His Son Jesus Christ:

“When the light rested upon me I saw two Personages, whose brightness and glory defy all description, standing above me in the air. One of them spake unto me, calling me by name and said, pointing to the other—This is My Beloved Son. Hear Him!” JSH 1:17

“And now, after the many testimonies which have been given of him, this is the testimony, last of all, which we give of him: That he lives! For we saw him, even on the right hand of God; and we heard the voice bearing record that he is the Only Begotten of the Father.” D&C 76:22-23

David B. Haight gives an account of his witness of Jesus Christ:

“I witness to you that He is Jesus the Christ, the Son of God, Savior to all, Redeemer of all mankind, Bestower of infinite love, mercy, and forgiveness, the Light and Life of the world. I knew this truth before—I had never doubted nor wondered. But now I knew, because of the impressions of the Spirit upon my heart and soul, these divine truths in a most unusual way.

“I was shown a panoramic view of His earthly ministry: His baptism, His teaching, His healing the sick and lame, the mock trial, His crucifixion, His resurrection and ascension. There followed scenes of His earthly ministry to my mind in impressive detail, confirming scriptural eyewitness accounts. I was being taught, and the eyes of my understanding were opened by the Holy Spirit of God so as to behold many things. . . The Sacrament – and the Sacrifice

Denver C. Snuffer shares his witness of Jesus Christ.

“Christ lives and comforts His followers today, just as He promised and did anciently. He is the Second Comforter. I know He lives, for I have seen Him. He has ministered to me.” page 405

“The most significant thing about this account is I am nothing and nobody. It is unlikely you have ever heard of me. It is my obscurity above all else that is evidence God is no respecter of persons, and will allow anyone, in any circumstance, to approach Him on equal footing. You can do so.” page 406 “We need more of those who say, “I know,” and testify, “I have seen,” and proclaim, “He lives!” page 424 The Second Comforter: Conversing with the Lord Through the Veil

A Muslim man shares his powerful experience and witness of Christ.

It looks like we have people from various walks of life that have seen Jesus and are witnesses of Christ, for “God is no respecter of persons” Acts 10:34-35. What are some of the commonalities among witnesses of Christ?

To be continued. . .

Looking for Witnesses of Christ, Part 1
Looking for Witnesses of Christ, Part 2
Looking for Witnesses of Christ, Part 3
Looking for Witnesses of Christ, Part 4 Conclusion

1 comment:

  1. What a powerful experience, thank you so much for sharing, my husband and I have been up every night reading your blog, praying and studying. More and more we are felling the LORD teach us HIS truth.

    Love Eva

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting