A witness from God can be relied upon. As you read our thoughts, beliefs, and experiences, we invite you to obtain a witness for yourself. If something we say or imply does not ring true, then you should feel no obligation to accept it. Life is an individual and unique journey with God. Although we can help and encourage each other, we need to be careful not to come between God and another person.

Pages

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Jeremiah Rebukes Latter Day Prophets, Part 3


NOTE: We’ve included two different translations KJV & NLT from this point forward

What is the burden of the Lord?

 33 And when this people, or the prophet, or a priest, shall ask thee, saying, What is the burden of the Lord? thou shalt then say unto them, What burden? I will even forsake you, saith the Lord.

Jer 23:33 "Suppose one of the people or one of the prophets or priests asks you, 'What prophecy has the LORD burdened you with now?' You must reply, 'You are the burden! [fn] The LORD says he will abandon you!'

If someone asks, “What prophecy has the Lord burdened you with now?” How must you reply? Who is the burden?

34 And as for the prophet, and the priest, and the people, that shall say, The burden of the Lord, I will even punish that man and his house.

Jer 23:34 "If any prophet, priest, or anyone else says, 'I have a prophecy from the LORD,' I will punish that person along with his entire family.

If anyone says, 'I have a prophecy from the Lord,' what will the Lord do?

 35 Thus shall ye say every one to his neighbour, and every one to his brother, What hath the Lord answered? and, What hath the Lord spoken?

Jer 23:35 You should keep asking each other, 'What is the LORD's answer?' or 'What is the LORD saying?'

Why should you keep asking each other, 'What is the Lord's answer?' or 'What is the Lord saying?'

 36 And the burden of the Lord shall ye mention no more: for every man’s word shall be his burden; for ye have perverted the words of the living God, of the Lord of hosts our God.

Jer 23:36 But stop using this phrase, 'prophecy from the LORD.' For people are using it to give authority to their own ideas, turning upside down the words of our God, the living God, the LORD of Heaven's Armies.

Why is everyone commanded to stop using the phrase, 'prophecy from the Lord'? Why does the Lord forbid the prophets to use his name to give authority to their own ideas?

 37 Thus shalt thou say to the prophet, What hath the Lord answered thee? and, What hath the Lord spoken?

Jer 23:37 "This is what you should say to the prophets: 'What is the LORD's answer?' or 'What is the LORD saying?'

What should we say to the prophets?

 38 But since ye say, The burden of the Lord; therefore thus saith the Lord; Because ye say this word, The burden of the Lord, and I have sent unto you, saying, Ye shall not say, The burden of the Lord;

Jer 23:38 But suppose they respond, 'This is a prophecy from the LORD!' Then you should say, 'This is what the LORD says: Because you have used this phrase, "prophecy from the LORD," even though I warned you not to use it,

Suppose they respond, 'This is a prophecy from the Lord!' then what should you say?

39 Therefore, behold, I, even I, will utterly forget you, and I will forsake you, and the city that I gave you and your fathers, and cast you out of my presence:
 40 And I will bring an everlasting reproach upon you, and a perpetual shame, which shall not be forgotten.

Jer 23:39 I will forget you completely. [fn] I will expel you from my presence, along with this city that I gave to you and your ancestors.
Jer 23:40 And I will make you an object of ridicule, and your name will be infamous throughout the ages.'"

What happens to those who use this phrase, "prophecy from the Lord," even though they have been warned not to use these words?

How will we respond to Jeremiah’s rebuke? 

“O, my beloved brethren, give ear to my words. Remember the greatness of the Holy One of Israel. Do not say that I have spoken hard things against you; for if ye do, ye will revile against the truth; for I have spoken the words of your Maker. I know that the words of truth are hard against all uncleanness; but the righteous fear them not, for they love the truth and are not shaken.” 2 Nephi 9:40

2 And it came to pass that I said unto them that I knew that I had spoken hard things against the wicked, according to the truth; and the righteous have I justified, and testified that they should be lifted up at the last day; wherefore, the guilty taketh the truth to be hard, for it cutteth them to the very center.
 And now my brethren, if ye were righteous and were willing to hearken to the truth, and give heed unto it, that ye might walk uprightly before God, then ye would not murmur because of the truth, and say: Thou speakest hard things against us.
 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, did exhort my brethren, with all diligence, to keep the commandments of the Lord.
 And it came to pass that they did humble themselves before the Lord; insomuch that I had joy and great hopes of them, that they would walk in the paths of righteousness.  1 Nephi 16:2-5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for posting